Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

Sorry for the lack of picture on this post, but I just needed to write something. Okay, so tonight is the big night...Myles sleeping in his crib for the first time. I always said I would never take my baby into bed with me, but that is the only way he would sleep for an extended period of time these past couple of months, but tonight is the big night for him to learn to sleep on his own. I've spent so much time thinking and worrying about how to get him into his crib and now I'm sort of sad that he won't be in my arms tonight. He's such a sweet baby.
I sang him his songs and rocked him to sleep then gently put him in. He started crying 5 minutes later, which I expected. I let him cry for 5 minutes, went in, patted him, gave him his pacifier, and left. I promised myself that is the only time I will go in. So if he starts crying again, it's up to him to get himself back to sleep. Unless it's the time he usually eats, then I will feed him and put him back in. This is so exciting and scary all at the same time. I really hope he still smiles at me in the morning.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You can do it sister. Good luck! And good luck little Myles.

Ju said...

Yes, I've learned as a mother to never say never... because more often than not never comes to pass :o) Funny how that works out eh?? Good luck, and just remember he will survive a few tears, and you are not torturing him. You are a great mom, I think big transition like this are harder on mom than on baby... at least for me they were. :o)

Whitney said...

I hope everything went well. Letting Lydia cry herself to sleep was one of the hardest things I've ever done - but it was also one of the best things. Just remember they will never hold grudges. By morning, he'll forget all about it :)

Pederson Seven said...

It will be worth it I promise. It has been a miracle with all 5 of mine. I promise he will be fine and you will have that glorious experience of waking up six ours later after sleeping in your bed without being woken up. But I totally understand the hint of sadness too. I went through the same thing. Because it is a special time to snuggle together in the night. Good luck. love, Krystal

Stephanie said...

How did it go? You are a great mother and yes you can!

Sarah said...

I totally know how you feel! I think Jaxon and Sammi slept better the first night that I took them out of our room than I did! The crying is tough, but it will soon be over and then you can brag about what a good sleeper you have!